[CQ-Contest] Observations of a young ham

Jim Brown k9yc at audiosystemsgroup.com
Thu Dec 22 14:03:03 EST 2016

On Thu,12/22/2016 9:46 AM, Stephen Bloom wrote:
> I don't know the lay of the land at Visalia in terms of how
> tightly scheduled it is, and/or how easy it is to set things up on the fly,
> but, if feasible, perhaps we bring this discussion there, and figure out an
> organizational way forward.

Visalia is pretty loose. There are many scheduled presentations on
Saturday, a DX track and a Contesting track on Friday. Plenty of loose
contact time in the evenings. Try to arrive on Thursday, leave Sunday
after the breakfast talk.

Visalia attracts lots of contesters, especially from NCCC, SCCC, and the
Arizona Outlaws. There are several big stations in NCCC territory that
regularly host a serious multi-op, including N6RO, K6LRG, W6YX, W7RN,
and WC6H. W6NV has a mountaintop site that's set up for multi. K6TU and
K6TD have a mountaintop site that's primarily designed for remote
operation. W6JZH, K6TD, and NW6P often turn over their stations to guest
operators. K6XX is set up for multi, but Bob is an WRTC competitor, so
rarely hosts a multi, but he's mentored some younger hams who have
become active contesters. I host guests from time to time. N6RO, K6LRG,
and W7RN are all set up for remote operation. N6BV has no station at
home, but often operates one of N6RO's stations remotely during a M/M.
N7MH has no station at home, but is the primary operator at W6YX.

73, Jim K9YC