[CQ-Contest] RTTY Roundup is coming up soon!

Jeff Stai wk6i.jeff at gmail.com
Thu Dec 29 16:16:25 EST 2016

hi Pierre - I'll explain, even though it looks complicated, it really
isn't. But the short answer is the W6SX Prime Directive: Have Fun! Operate
when you want and can, and don't worry about it.

The long answer...

The basic rule says you can operate a maximum of 24 hours in the contest as
a single op.

The other thing to be aware of is that the “General Rules for All ARRL
Contests” and “General Rules for ARRL Contests on bands below 30 MHz (HF)"
also apply, as noted at the bottom of the Roundup rules.

Rule 3.15 of the "General Rules for All ARRL Contests" says:

"3.15. Unless otherwise specified, in any ARRL Contest where off time is
required, the minimum block of off time must be at least 30 minutes."

So, the minimum time between contacts to be considered a break is 30
minutes. You get two breaks of 30 minutes or more during the contest. Once
you do your two breaks, any time you are not operating counts against your
24 hour limit.

Now, what is not clear from the rules is that the time between 1800 UTC
Saturday and your first contact is not considered one of those breaks. So,
if you start late, you can still take the two breaks.

Also what is not clear is that the time between your last contact and 2400
UTC Sunday is not considered one of those breaks. So, if for some reason
you haven't yet taken two breaks that add up to 6 hours, just stop early.

The 30 minute minimum does NOT apply to late starts or early finishes.

I hope you are still with me...

It can be much simpler that this. Let's have fun instead:

1. Make sure the family has enough delicious home made leftovers they can
microwave all weekend.

2. Go operate the contest from the start at 1800 UTC Sat. - when the rates
are high - and go to sleep when it slows down or you are tired.

3. Wake up 5 hours later refreshed and ready to start operating.

4. Take one more 30-60 minute break if and when you need it.

5. Operate until 2400 UTC Sunday, or whenever you hit the 24 hour mark.
Your contest logger should keep track of that for you.

What happens if you go past 24 hours of operating? Despite what the rules
say: Nothing, other than any Qs you make after 24 hours will not count for
your score. But if you are having fun why not keep going and let the log
checking sort it out for you?

Remember: Have Fun! 73 jeff wk6i