[CQ-Contest] RTTY Roundup is coming up soon!

Aldewey at aol.com Aldewey at aol.com
Thu Dec 29 17:02:43 EST 2016

Pierre;

You are not the first one to be confused by the wording this rule.   When I
was on the ARRL CAC, we looked at this rule in detail and made some
recommendations to the league on re-wording (not changing) this rule.

Because the RTTY RU in a World Wide contest, the intent of the rule was
that stations around the world would not cherry pick their off time in 30
minute  chunks to take advantage of propagation.  The rule has served the
contest  well even though it is a little confusing to understand.

Our recommendations at the time was to reword the rule as follows:

"2.2  Operating time will be calculated using the elapsed time between  the
first QSO and the last QSO logged minus the longest two breaks during this
elapsed time where such breaks are a minimum of 30 minutes each."

So, in your example, you WOULD be able to rejoin the contest later as  you
suggest.  It's just that any breaks you take that are shorter than  your
LONGEST two breaks will count as Operating Time.  As long as your  total
Operating Time is 24 hours or less, you are fine.

I hope this clarifies things for you.  See you in the Round Up.

73,

AL, K0AD

In a message dated 12/29/2016 2:38:55 P.M. Central Standard Time,