[CQ-Contest] [YCCC] Key Clicks in ARRL DX CW

Jim Brown k9yc at audiosystemsgroup.com
Tue Feb 23 14:38:07 EST 2016

On Tue,2/23/2016 5:06 AM, Jukka Klemola wrote:
> In case K3 does not have a setting for CW edges, I am surprised.
> This means there has been a number of changes to the initial factory
> setting - for some reason.
>
> Is there a possibiity in K3 to upgrade the firmware?
>
> I presume it is much more difficult than a setting in a menu somewhere.

There is NO setting for keying rise time, and there never has been. The
designers optimized it for well defined characters at high speed, and
locked it down so that users could not screw it up. For the same reason,
the firmware is NOT open source. Thanks to Wayne Burdick, N6KR, chief
engineer and one of the two owners of Elecraft for this design decision.

Firmware for Elecraft products is upgraded periodically to add features
or improve functionality based on the input from users. Their most
recent HARDWARE upgrade was a re-designed synthesizer board that reduced
both TX and RX phase noise by about 10 dB.  It is part of the new K3S,
but can be purchased for about U$250 and installed by the user in about
15 minutes using only a screwdriver.

Compare this upgrade policy to the JA companies, whose designs require
that you sell your old radio and buy a new one.

73, Jim K9YC