[CQ-Contest] VE vs W Power

Gerry Hull gerry at yccc.org
Wed Feb 24 18:01:46 EST 2016

I find this power difference interesting...

In Canada, the rules state:

10.2 Amateur Radio Operator Certificate with Advanced Qualification
The holder of an Amateur Radio Operator Certificate with Advanced
Qualification is limited to a maximum transmitting power of:
(a) where expressed as direct-current input power, 1,000 W to the anode or
collector circuit of the transmitter stage that supplies radio frequency
energy to the antenna; or
(b) where expressed as radio frequency output power measured across an
impedance-matched load,
(i) 2,250 W peak envelope power for transmitters that produce any type of
single sideband emission, or
(ii) 750 W carrier power for transmitters that produce any other type of
emission.

In the US,

97.317 (b) No station may transmit with a transmitter power exceeding 1.5
kW PEP

I find this quite interesting for CW operation.  Morse Code, A1a
transmissions are not Carriers.  They are amplitude-modulated carriers.
And, for normal A1a emissions, CARRIER <> PEP.  The PEP of a 750w "key
down" carrier is going to be much less than 750w when transmitting A1a.
The US regulation seems to understand this.  Or am I nuts?

So I find the Canadian rule kind of strange.  I know tons of guys that are
canadian CW ops and run Alphas and Acoms.  Do you mean to tell me they only
run 750w on CW?

It also means that Canada has another regulatory advantage in contests on
SSB!
Oh my!

73, Gerry W1VE  and VE-a-bunch-of-em