[CQ-Contest] [YCCC] Key Clicks in ARRL DX CW

Jim Brown k9yc at audiosystemsgroup.com
Thu Feb 25 12:28:32 EST 2016

On Wed,2/24/2016 8:59 PM, Jukka Klemola wrote:
> Nah .. Jim.. please read the K3 thread I posted.
> Repeating here:
> http://elecraft.365791.n2.nabble.com/CW-Rise-Time-td3218979.html

The modifications described by this conversation were to improve the
clarity of keying, not to eliminate clicks.

> I understand this so there is some possibility a small K3 population is
> operational and could benefit of a SW upgrade.

Not true. Upgrades have included all sorts of operational features.

> About any discomfort for the frequency domain neighbors, my guess is the
> discomfort of unmodified FT1000, FT2000 and FT3000 plus FT5000 is much
> bigger than any K3 production lot.

Repeating, since 2008 when I received mine, K3s have never had issues
with clicks. As with all stations, clicks can be generated in power amps.

> Beginning with the K3 and all of its accessories, firmware upgrades are
>> >nearly automatic. The firmware update utility (one for Windoze and one for
>> >Mac) queries the radio via a serial or USB port, queries the website and
>> >downloads the latest firmware, asks if you want to update, and if you say
>> >yes, it does that.
>> >
> Huh ?
> Easier than a menu setting ?
> Feels like marketing men promises.
> Coming from YC-Jim, I buy the idea it is possible.
> If it is already implemented, Super !

What I described has been implemented since K3 was in beta test, in 2007-8.

Thanks for the positive comments on my work. Yes, like Rob Sherwood's,
it is ongoing.

73, Jim K9YC