[CQ-Contest] Open Letter to VE Contesters

Jim Brown k9yc at audiosystemsgroup.com
Thu Feb 25 12:52:53 EST 2016

What are you smoking?  That's not "ham ingenuity," nor is it the ham
spirit. It's rationalization, it's about MONEY and PRIVILEGE.

I and many others appreciate setting up VY1JA's remote station and
operation during contests, but the result is a great benefit to all
contesters in the form of another rare multiplier on the air. Me, or
someone else, operating a rent-a-station provides NOTHING to the ham
community (unless it also happens to be rare).

More to the point -- the ham spirit is embodied by building a station,
whether it be small or large, and operating it yourself in competition.
I would get NONE of that by operating a rent-a-station, whether by
flying there or using a remote. I live an hour from W6YX and two hours
from N6RO. I could easily drive there and operate, but I'm still at
extreme disadvantage of scoring rules, and I get none of the
satisfaction of generating a score from a station that I've built (with
help from my friends, of course).  I want to be able to compete with
other stations comparable to mine, no matter where they are located.

73, Jim K9YC