[CQ-Contest] NAQP Power Level

PaulKB8N at aol.com PaulKB8N at aol.com
Mon Jan 11 17:21:23 EST 2016

What started this whole discussion was that Pat apparently wanted  to test
out some kind of new setup.  Why would he want to use high  power when he
had the opportunity to test his setup against a level playing  field running
low power?

There is an aspect to this that I feel needs to be more fully  addressed.
When a high power station plays in this contest, that  station has a greater
opportunity to hold a run frequency and maintain a  pileup.  To me,
operating high power in NAQP for whatever reason hurts  the competition among the
contestants whose scores count. In effect, the high  power station deprives
legitimate competitors a slice of the  spectrum.

You can read the rules two different ways.  One interpretation is that  it
is OK to run high power and submit a check log, the other interpretation is
if you run high power you will be penalized by not being able to submit a
log  for scoring purposes.

If I owned an amplifier, I wouldn't want to make a lot of noise at the
expense of others slugging it out using low power.

Paul K5AF

In a message dated 1/11/2016 2:09:37 P.M. Central Standard Time,