[CQ-Contest] Inverter generators

George K5KG georgek5kg at aol.com
Sun Jan 24 12:12:39 EST 2016

Hello Mike,

I have a Honda EU2000i which I bought along with the reserve fuel tank
in 2014.  I have used it in successfully FD and no noticeable radio
noise.  Also used extensively for other stuff, including yard work and
even a recent power outage at the house.  It is a fantastic machine, IMO.

73, George, K5KG

On 1/24/2016 10:39 AM, Mike Smith VE9AA wrote:
> Hi Brett,
>

> I was holding off commenting as I was also anxious to see what the
> collective had to say about these Inverter type genny's.
>
> I purchased the Honda EU2000i here a few months ago but have not yet used it
> in a radio environment, so can't say what it'll be like.
>
> I searched the Internet long and hard and found overall the 2k Honda's got
> rave reviews from campers, contractors and guys doing radio expeditions. (I
> think the CQP folks bought 40+ of these one year)
>

> There is also a comparable Yamaha unit which also scored very high marks.
> The EF2000is, which I could've probably purchased locally and shaved
> $100-$200 off the Honda cost.
>

> Interestingly, I found a curious little generator at Walmart recently which
> intrigues me, if for nothing else than it's a full 66% off the price of my
> Honda, which was around $1500CDN all-in.
>
> It's the Hyundai HT2000si.  Don't know what it would be like, but I am
> tempted to buy it as a back up to my Honda (is that even necessary?)
>

> I don't know anything about them really, as I only own the Honda, and as I
> said, no radio experience yet,.  Seems like the overall feeling was that
> early units occasionally had an RFI problem whereas later units were "mostly
> good" (hi)
>

> If it turns out mine is plagued with RFI, I'll likely build a choke per W4EF
> http://www.dellroy.com/W4EF's-Ham-Radio-Page/Portable_Operation/EU2000i_Filt
> er.htm
>

> See you from Scarborough !
>

> Mike VE9AA