[CQ-Contest] CQWW Committee Restructured

Jim Brown k9yc at audiosystemsgroup.com
Mon Jul 18 18:38:22 EDT 2016

On Mon,7/18/2016 3:13 PM, Randy Thompson K5ZD wrote:
> Other than moving some tectonic plates, what do you suggest would make CQ WW
> more interesting for those not bordering the Atlantic Ocean?
>
> Not useful to complain without offering a suggestion.

MANY times I have noted the need for updating scoring rules to the
modern age, and I have made some suggestions. All were promptly rejected
as "changing the nature of the contest." The scoring rules date to the
time when we all had to do it by adding and multiplying numbers with
paper and pencil. Those archaic, super-simple rules are what make most
US DX contests fun only for folks in the Atlantic basin, where the vast
majority of multipliers are. And keeping them the same so that 50 year
old records can be compared with modern scores is really silly -- in
those old days, we had no automation at all, logged on paper with paper
dupe sheets. Even comparing today with ten years ago is silly, and for
the same reasons.

To me, the CQWW contests are the dumbest of all -- except for a few
countries like UA, VE, and K, all you have to copy is the call, because
the whole country is in the same zone so the computer fills in the zone
for you.

73, Jim K9YC