[CQ-Contest] CQWW Committee Restructured

Huff David J HuffDavidJ at JohnDeere.com
Wed Jul 20 02:51:35 EDT 2016

I think one of the things sorely missing from the contest is more DIGITAL modes on VHF/UHF, other than EME/meteor.  There is a large amount of VHF / UHF and up that could benefit from digital use, but very few people other than EME/meteor do digital in higher bands, and there is virtually no national level contest encouraging the use of digital above HF.  Putting a contest into bands above HF would also encourage the ARRL and others to update the rules from circa the late 1980s.
You can also get into digital at a lot lower power and cost than we used to, but there is still almost no digital terrestrial traffic.  You can get VHF/UHF digital receivers for around $30, which means getting the little pistol level stations involved will be cheaper and easier.  I think most of the mobile rovers and contesters already use computers for logging, why not add an interface and score more points that way.

David
W0IM