[CQ-Contest] CQWW Committee Restructured

Ward Silver hwardsil at gmail.com
Fri Jul 22 12:52:46 EDT 2016

 > As for CQWW, those of us here in Asia who have a perennial propagation
 > disadvantage have no chance of winning any of the big boy categories.
Yet
 > if you look at score submissions of the last few years, you will
observe an
 > upward trend. This is largely because ops are getting on air for fun,
not
 > for winning. The serious efforts are largely focused on doing well in
Asia
 > standings than World standings. All this with the current rules.

And there we have most of a very workable solution - compete regionally,
report regionally, recognize regionally.  Thanks, Prasad.

Trying to come up with some kind of a complex numeric way of equalizing
out propagation and geography is simply not workable. There are too many
dependencies over which a point system has no control.  Nor can it
respond to day-to-day propagation variations.

The CQ WW committee already has its hands overly-full dealing with the
worldwide data set - and they do a great job with that!

My advice for those who care is to create regional competitions and
reporting so that the best efforts from a particular region can be
appropriately recognized and encouraged.  The scoring data and even the
logs are public - there is no reason this can't be done.  How about the
California Cup?  The East Asia Challenge? The Black Hole Bouquet?
Regional reporting allows stations to compete against peers - which
causes most of the perceived unhappiness.

73, Ward N0AX