[CQ-Contest] RTTY CQWW

ko7ss at yahoo.com ko7ss at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 23 12:37:41 EDT 2016

N3QE wrote:

"Most RTTY contests have always allowed in-country QSO's to count for points
to drum up the rates to a level to keep it interesting for the whole
period. If RTTY becomes substantially more popular then maybe in CQWW RTTY
they could put in-country Q's at zero points (I have heard at least one
RTTY contest director wonder out loud if his contest is reaching this
tipping point yet.)"

When I look at the USA Top Ten results for the 2015 CQWW RTTY (the first
year that VE3NEA type RTTY skimmer were on line), there is a great mix of
stations from all over the country represented in all categories. AC0C
actually won SOABHP from Kansas, with W7RN second! N7AT in Arizona took
3rd in SOABHP(A)!

So what exactly is this tipping point that must be avoided? High activity
with stations to work the entire 48 hours, or the scandalous appearance of
non W1/2/3 stations in the Top Ten listings?

73, Bill KO7SS