[CQ-Contest] “You can’t have a Dayton Hamvention in Las Vegas, Nevada,”

Tom Haavisto kamham69 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 30 12:17:59 EDT 2016

To me, it boils down to one thing: organization.

DARA has been doing this forever and a day.  At this point, it is a well
oiled machine.  Pull the binder off the shelf - all your date benchmarks
are already in place, and on down the line.

It takes a HUGE amount a work on the part of the organizers - expertese not
easily moved to another city - even within Ohio.

Could Vegas host a major hamvention?  Sure  But that raises the question -
why have they not already done so.

In my mind, if/when Dayton ever ceases to exist, I see another (already
existing) hamvention taking its place - just grow the infrastructure to
take up the extra demand.  To start from scratch would take several years
to grow to handle such an event.

Last, but not least - it is US - the hams who actually GO to Dayton who
make it what it is.  If there were a mass move to "go somewhere else" (no -
I don't see this happening) - then it would move.  Me - I go for the
friendship, and the host city is secondary (in my mind).

Just my two cents worth...

Tom - VE3CX