[CQ-Contest] Ohio is now West Coast - rebuttal

donovanf at starpower.net donovanf at starpower.net
Tue Mar 1 19:00:28 EST 2016

Hi Ed,

The first ionospheric reflection point for propagation from
K3LR and W3LPL to Europe is over Eastern Canada. For high
angles its located near the U.S border, for low angles it near
Labrador and Newfoundland .

There will usually be at least one additional ionospheric reflection
point, in the North Atlantic west of Ireland. For both reflection
points and for any specific propagation path to Europe, K3LR's
ionospheric reflection points are about 200 miles NW of W3LPL's
reflection points.

Normally 200 miles wouldn't make much difference, but near 60
degrees magnetic latitude the difference in MUF is sometimes
significant. The mid-latitude trough frequently (but not always)
occurs during darkness near 60 degrees magnetic latitude during
the fall and winter and sometimes the more southerly reflection
point will be outside the trough while the more northerly reflection
point may be in the trough. When this occurs, the MUF will
degrade earlier in the day for K3LR than for W3LPL.

You can clearly see the electron depletion caused by the
mid-latitude trough in this NOAA Total Electron Content forecast
map:

http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/products/ctipe-total-electron-content-forecast

There is good news: because the mid-latitude trough is mostly a fall
and winter phenomenon byy late this month (WPX SSB), late afternoon
and evening propagation across the North Atlantic will be much more
common on both 15 and 20 meters

73
Frank
W3LPL