[CQ-Contest] Your DX Spots during the ARRL SSB DX Contest

James Rodenkirch Rodenkirch_LLC at msn.com
Tue Mar 8 08:47:21 EST 2016

Scott - I and other 160 QRP ops conduct what I'll call "little runs" during 160 events ..... just head up or down the band 'till you don't hear any alligators, park and call CQ....I find I can acquire 5 to 10 Qs in a short span (after 5 minutes or so of calling CQ with no replies I return to S&P...the operating mode of choice, most often, for QRP ops).....in short, we don't "procure" anything, we rush in, capture what we can and get out....hihi

I see others replied with suggestions to head up the band and that's a good strategy --- on 160, however, I've found "room" for my signal at 1.801 or so that was as productive as heading up to 1.860 or higher (my KX3 produces a clean signal so no worries about xmiting "out of band"). In fact, if I work 5 to 10 during a shot run at 1.810, I'll "S&P my way up the band" 'till I find that "next clear spot above the alligator(s) at the high end and settle down for a quick "run." Repeat the process as I head down the band.

71.5/72 de Jim R. K9JWV