[CQ-Contest] Your DX Spots during the ARRL SSB DX Contest

Richard F DiDonna NN3W richnn3w at verizon.net
Tue Mar 8 10:53:00 EST 2016

Depending on the contest, the ability to run as a smaller station can be
a challenge.  I think the least likelihood chance for a garden variety
station to run is in CQWW where you are simply one of a huge crowd in an
everybody-works-everybody contest.

In focused events (WAE, IOTA, ARRL DX, and even WPX if your prefix is a
"catch"), many stations can indeed run.

With skimmer, things are more or less equalized which is a bonus for low
power stations owing to the effective ability to CW to cut through QRM.

Phone is a different story.  Ay my QTH I have a fan dipole at about 75
feet that has a broad lobe northeast-southwest and a second fan dipole
at about 55 feet where the lobe runs due north-south.

Even with the USA guys being the "catch", I was only moderately
successful at running with one exception - I had a huge run on 15 meter
SSB Sunday morning.  The rate was decent until 9K2NO spotted me and my
rate meter went from about 2 a minute to closer to 5 or 6 a minute.  And
that is from my QTH.

Obviously, if you are one of about four QRV hams from a given entity,
you don't need to worry.  You're going to draw a pile and a crazy one at
that.  I always enjoy seeing the mid/late afternoon Sunday pileups when
an OX, a TF, a HP3, a 5H, or a CP shows up for the first time in a
contest.  Sheer craziness for 30+ minutes.

73 Rich NN3W