[CQ-Contest] K5ZD vs IBM's Watson

Marijan Miletic s56a at bit.si
Thu Mar 17 17:03:08 EDT 2016

K5ZD wrote: Watson will always win. Better bladder control and more BIC (butt in chair)
time.  Not to mention the ability to do SO6R!

Randy is absolutely right!  I had IBM AT with TI DSP card running Pascal CW robot in 1991.  200+ QSO in ARRL DX from S5.  Once robot did KS on 80 m on CQ, I stopped PhD research.  Agreement was reached with K6STI that we wouldn’t launch commercial version in order to preserve our hobby.

I had recent CW robot request for DX-expedition use.  Public work was done in C++ under Windows.  YT7PWR did SDR version while I did a lot od Morse Runner audio simulation.  Score of 1000 points was achieved under N1YU while mine S56A is 2000+.  Shorter 10 minutes runs are at rate of 200+ QSO/hour using Super-Check-Partial database search.  VE3NEA does that in CW Skimmer on all 6 bands within a single FPGA IC.  I am aware of similar CW robot  efforts by N5OGW and AG1LE RX only.

My humble experience is dull CW robot supervision of above-average human operator performance.  I delayed my work again  in order to enjoy this Sunspots cycle.  The only interesting motivation was N4ZR 100$ award offer years ago.

CW hams are hopelessly tech conservative.  SSB is even worse without speech recognition of limited vocabulary.  There was CQ WW Expert trial once!

73 de Mario, S56A, N1YU, MSc EE retired

Sent from Mail for Windows 10