[CQ-Contest] K5GO speaks out for youth in contesting

Eric Gruff egruff at cox.net
Thu Mar 24 18:37:18 EDT 2016

I agree with Tor - I don't know that "young people aren't interested in
contesting", but rather that new hams in general probably are intimidated by
a "contest" when they are unfamiliar with so many aspects of the hobby. Then
there's the CW aspect - how many newer hams (licensed five years or less, to
pick an arbitrary number) are CW proficient at 20 wpm or higher? Couple that
with the time it takes to acquire a "contest-worthy" station. I'm not being
a snob here, but thinking of other hobbies/pasttimes (golf, tennis, road or
mountain biking, etc.), how many newbies jump right into tournaments or
races?

My suggestion is to find hams who are interested in expanding their use of
the hobby, and then exposing them to contesting as part of a multi-op setup
(for example) or just having them sit next to a contesting op and help with
logging, etc. It's a lot less intimidating than just figuring it out by
themselves, and I would bet at least 10 or 20 percent would find the
experience exciting enough to get more involved. If we wait until new hams
discover contesting for themselves, it may indeed be too late.

One last suggestion - how about a short sprint-type contest-in-a-contest as
a fun addendum to Field Day? Kind of like GOTA for getting new hams on
board, but instead it would be for already-licensed hams to try contesting
in a turnkey setup with Elmers right there to help out. It could also add
participation points to stations who work the contesters, thus increasing
the FD score.

Just my $0.02.

Eric NC6K