[CQ-Contest] K5GO speaks out for youth in contesting

Kelly Taylor ve4xt at mymts.net
Sun Mar 27 10:22:00 EDT 2016

Paul is right: what he says is what attracted us and continues to attract us.

That's not the relevant question, however.

He's also right to say apples and oranges. But the problem is the kids like oranges and aren't even trying our apples.

We can't continue trying to market ham radio the same way it was marketed to us. When I got my licence, my friends were blown away by my ability to work Europe. Today, kids see that and go 'meh.'

"But why can't you see their faces? And what's that weird beeping noise?"

Competition will attract some, but to slaughter an old saw from Alfred P. Sloan, you can sell an old man a young man's hobby, but you can't sell a young man an old man's hobby.

So, how do we sell it as a young man's hobby? By showing young people enjoying it. I've seen photos of some mall displays, Field Days, etc., where the average age of presenters was between 60 and 70.

Bless them for trying, but the image is of a hobby that's dying.

The nerd factor also cuts both ways: jocks won't get it, but the kid who revels in his electronics class will love it.

73, kelly, ve4xt

Sent from my iPhone