[CQ-Contest] Leading Zeros etc.

ve4xt at mymts.net ve4xt at mymts.net
Thu Mar 31 09:35:26 EDT 2016

If I have started late in a contest, as Art says, giving out puny serials while most everyone else is in the hundreds, a single- or two-digit SN gets more fill requests naked than with leading zeroes. People by then are expecting three digits and decide they missed a digit or two.

I never use leading zeroes on phone, with no problems, but find on CW fill requests are fewer with leading Ts. If I'm starting at the beginning, when everyone else is also giving out less than 100, I turn leading zeroes off.

Like Mike, I would strongly encourage newcomers to say Roger or QSL if you hear the correct exchange repeated back as a confirmation request. I suspect, however, many operators who resend their info after you've sent it back correctly are probably the victims of the same interference that caused you doubt, and think they heard you reply incorrectly.

73, kelly, ve4xt,

Sent from my iPad