[CQ-Contest] SO2R; what does it all mean? (discuss)

Mike Smith VE9AA ve9aa at nbnet.nb.ca
Mon May 30 07:14:45 EDT 2016

I am still very much a greenhorn SO2R op and not a serious contender in the
big leagues, so am curious what the non-haters think SO2R can do for you?

Guys, this weekend was not a fair assessment, as I only did 16hrs due to
sickness, but here's what my gut told me, backed up just now by N6TV/K5KA's
CABSTATS when I ran the VC9T log through it:

"...There were 212 bandchanges and 90 (10.3%) probable 2nd radio QSOs..."
(that's out of only 870 total QSO's)

I find during a busy contest like this I am pretty much maxxed out @ 10% for
the 2nd radio (and more importantly the operator is swamped!).

Would I have worked them otherwise?; some yes, for sure. Maybe a realistic #
compared to so1r is 5% gain? No idea.

I wouldn't toss 5% of my score out the window - hi !

When I get over about 100Q's/hour rate, I just cannot listen to the 2nd
radio to pick off mult's and make it work (in this contest, every other stn
is a mult!!!)

I like SO2R for the smaller contests, -OR- where weird openings gives you a
rare country, zone or whatever. THAT's when I find it makes the biggest bang
for the buck.

I was scanning 10m last night, when I otherwise would not be calling or even
tuning on that band and heard XR0YS (who incidentally had just worked VE9ML)
and I got him a couple calls later when I had the time. In WPX the
difference isn't much, but had this been CQWW or ARRL DX, a new mult is
king.

No bandpass filters, no amps, no towers, no beams, no automatic switching
schemes....just 100w & wires and careful separation of antennas & a YCCC
SO2R+ box. (was a really fun project to build too).

SO2R could also help you chase mobiles in QSO parties for when they QSY
instantly to another band........or chase a DX-pedition on the WARC bands
when you are doing a SO1R in the contest.

As always, open to comments, criticisms, cajoles from the peanut gallery.  I
am looking to learn here, having no SO2R mentor..not to discuss whether SO2R
is fair or whether it should be its own category ;-D

Mike VE9AA

Mike, Coreen & Corey

Keswick Ridge, NB