[CQ-Contest] Its not the Sunspots folks

Eric Gruff egruff at cox.net
Wed Nov 2 11:01:05 EDT 2016

Since the exchange is zones, why not make "DX" a contact between different
zones or countries? It doesn't completely level the playing field, but at
least the US, Asia and Russia can work geographically-distant stations in
the same country for points. The exchange to verify this is already there,
so it would simply be a scoring change. I'll leave it to others to decide
how many points, etc.

Nothing can be done to make every QTH exactly equal to every other QTH, no
matter what. If you live near the intersection of several zones in populated
areas, such as there are in Europe, you 're going to have an advantage. If
you are on the West Coast, you have an advantage to the Pacific Rim, but
Europe can be almost non-existent (like this past weekend), etc. In my
opinion, it's more the boredom factor - I shut the radio off around midnight
local time (0700Z) as there were almost no new stations to work on 80 or 40
M, and those were the only bands open beyond NVIS for me. Had I been able to
work Zones 4 and 5 in the USA for points, I would likely have stayed on. It
wouldn't have led to me winning anything, but I would have enjoyed it.

I know that any big change like this will completely mess up comparison of
scores to previous years, and I'm not sure how to answer that point, other
than to note that with the powerful software that is now common, a
before/after rules change score could be easily calculated.

Just my $0.02,

Eric NC6K

Message: 1