[CQ-Contest] 40m lower band edge SSB

David Siddall hhamwv at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 15:23:17 EDT 2016

Actually, Gerry, the FCC amateur rules are explicit on this very point.
Section 97.307(b): "Emissions resulting from modulation must be confined to
the band or segment available to the control operator."   In other words,
you must keep your emissions entirely within your permitted band.

A properly adjusted  LSB signal will extend about 2.8 kHz below the carrier
frequency.   To comply with band edge, the lowest one can reasonably go
without professionally adjusted and monitored amateur equipment when using
LSB is 7.128, or 3 kHz.   Even this close assumes that your transmitter is
operating correctly and is properly adjusted.

73, Dave K3ZJ