[CQ-Contest] Real Time Scoring and Quick Submissions

Trent Sampson vk4ts at outlook.com
Sun Nov 13 19:48:33 EST 2016

REAL TIME SCORING and QUICK Submissions are both in conflict too the system as we know it.

How various people will react is difficult to establish. But to be sure for every action there will be a reaction.

Pareto described the population effect as the 80 20 rule -

In contesting I think it is more like the 90/10 rule -

Eg of the 60,000 callsigns in the CQWW only 10% are sort of serious and of that 10% again 90/10 have a hope of winning

60,000 Calls in the various logs equals around 6000 logs entered and around 600 who gain a certificate -of these only 10% are in the running for trophies or 60 stations

So the suggestion is to cater for 1% of the active stations at the detriment of the vast majority who make up the activities of a contest.

We need to look at what is a contest and work out from there -

Undeniably the CQWW is the most popular; why ? Simple rules , short exchange and lots of DX activity.

But what attracts the 60,000 ? Answer that question and you will find the way forward for the future of contests - Making the path more difficult is not the answer.

You must think from a NON CONTESTER perceptive - Not as a hard core contester - And the only way to find out is not to ask the top 100 but to ask the bottom 54,000 that make up the logs every year almost without fail.

Have fun in the contest.

Trent
VK4TS
PO Box 275