[CQ-Contest] Packet killed single Op

Jim Brown k9yc at audiosystemsgroup.com
Tue Nov 29 15:19:27 EST 2016

On Mon,11/28/2016 7:19 AM, Art Boyars wrote:
> I do not know what
> special skills are needed for "assisted", but they sure are nothing like
> the skills I developed for single op, especially Little Pistol.  (Having
> the loudest signal in the pileup may be a worthy achievement, but I would
> not call it an operating skill.)

Exactly right, Art. And it's even more frustrating when you're QRP, and
from W6. This year's CQWWCW was pretty much a non-event for us on the
west coast. Unless you had stacks, EU didn't exist. I heard no EU on 40,
only a few stations on 20 -- the low extent of the AU oval that W3LPL
described killed it. Things were considerably better when not going
through the oval -- the better stations from AF and ZD8 were pretty good
copy, and both ZD8W and D4C had no trouble hearing my 5W.

73, Jim K9YC