[CQ-Contest] CQ-Contest Digest, Vol 166, Issue 1

Drew Vonada-Smith drew at whisperingwoods.org
Sat Oct 1 11:30:06 EDT 2016

Fellow Contesters,

If accurate (which I have little doubt of), this story is very concerning.  While the initial concern seems reasonable, the issues were answered, apparently satisfactorily, but the decision prevailed with no explanation?  That explanation is *always* owed to the affected party, and should be defensible in the view of the contest community.

I have also had serious concerns with this contest and how it is scored and judged.  Scoring to eliminate QSOs from BOTH sides when data is miscopied is a strange rule that unfairly penalizes stations that are perhaps weaker and got the QSO right.  It also encourages repeat back of exchange, something we all abhor.  The explanation I was given was that it penalizes the sender for his obviously poor sending which was miscopied.  In this day of software, this is so ridiculous as to be laughable.  I was further penalized heavily for working stations "not in the contest".  If they work me, and provide an exchange, does that not make them in the contest?  My concerns were laughed at and dismissed.

But these are just my own past frustrations.  I have since boycotted this contest, which consistently shows huge score reductions compared to all others.  And the occasional mysterious disqualifications that seem to conveniently eliminate unwanted competitors.

As this contest is part of the WRTC 2018 qualification process, it seems to me that there is sufficient reason for parties outside RDXC to look a little deeper into this.  What say you RDXC?  Are you comfortable discussing this in the open?

73,
Drew K3PA

Message: 4