[CQ-Contest] Log what was sent

David Siddall hhamwv at gmail.com
Mon Oct 3 18:12:12 EDT 2016

Christian,

I took George's point to be that the "log only what you hear" advice is
misleading because the result can be silly (and wrong) if you literally
apply it.

He is saying one should determine the correct exchange by whatever
over-the-air means possible.  If I am in, say, the WAG contest, and I copy
"599 14" from DL8MBS, I do NOT log that as the exchange ("log what you
hear" approach).  Instead, I would query "DOK?" or "X06?" and you would
(hopefully) respond "X06" or "R"; or send your correct DOK if it is not
X06.  Then I would log "599 X06" or your correct DOK.  If you do not send
me anything more in response to my query, I still would NOT log "14", even
though it is what you sent. Instead, you are NIL because you did not send
me a valid exchange for the contest.

George's advice applies to all contests regardless of the actual exchange.
He used CQWW as an example.  In that case, if someone says that they are in
Alaska, they then have given all the information needed for the exchange
and are logged as zone 1, not as "AK".  Same principle -- in whatever
fashion, ensure that you have determined the correct exchange for the
station worked.  The station worked does NOT have to send in magic
formulaic fashion "599 X06" or "599 01".  The response "R" to "X06?" is
fine. I wouldn't log "R" and you never sent me "X06". The intent is to
determine the correct exchange by over-the-air means and then log it in the
approved manner.

73, Dave K3ZJ