[CQ-Contest] New Contesting Classification

Jukka Klemola jpklemola at gmail.com
Tue Oct 4 09:44:56 EDT 2016

Hi Paul,

Comments below --

> On 04/10/2016 07:09, Jukka Klemola wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> I have, between my lips and my transmitter, I have a bunch of relays,
>> capacitors and a transformer or two.
>> And there is a computer, it's whole infrastructure whatever there is ..
>> I had a computer that used two sound cards. When on phone, my spoken
>> signal
>> went into one and came out from the other sound card before entering the
>> radio,
>>
>> And, when using computer voice keyer, it was all bits and going to the
>> radio in some sort pieces.
>>

> Jukka is describing what is commonly known as a
> station, and the contesting community acknowledges
> that stations take up physical space.  The 500-
> metre radius rule is intended to assign a limit
> to the physical space permitted.  What operators
> do within that space and what technologies they
> use are mostly irrelevant.

500m radius is for the radio station transmitters and receivers.
The antennas must be physically connected to the radio.

The wording allows remote operation.
The rule is actually custom made to allow remote operation.

> However, with internet remote operation, QSOs are
> hosted on the internet, and no QSO is possible
> without the internet.  In those circumstances the
> internet serves both to control the remote station
> and as a carrier of the information sent and
> received (the communications) between the operators.

There can be stations where some operator is elsewhere and operates remote
over some kind of a network, like internet for example. It does not
prohibit per se another operator being at the radio station, where the
radios are.

Those QSOs differ from hands-on QSOs. They may be
> legitimate and valid QSOs under most contest rules
> (not including IOTA) but they depend for their
> existence on both ham-band RF and the internet.
> They represent hybrid communications, and that is
> more than enough reason for them to be classified
> separately from ham-radio QSOs.

Yes. The QSOs done over the extra network are much more difficult to make
and are much more complex. It takes a lot to arrange the QSOs over the
network in addition to haveing the radio2radio contact, which is required
for the QSO to count.

> Others who wish to take me to task over "special
> cases" of remote operation (including, for example,
> various lengths of CAT6 cable) should be prepared
> to first deal with internet-hosted remote operation
> - because that's the method of choice these days.

The CAT or mic cable length is not regulated by the contest rules.
There is a vast number of other details the rules do not restrict.

Entrants are not only allowed to create but the entrants are encouraged to
create new technologies that support the mission.
Mission is to have more QSOs overall. To have more participants in the
contests we enjoy.
More QSOs is somehow proportional to the Fun-level.

73,
> Paul EI5DI

Thanks for challenging this and giving opportunity to clarify the rule set
for this one contesting feature, that is gaining popularity and is bringing
in new entrants.

We welcome all newcomers who contest by the rules.

73,
Jukka OH6LI