[CQ-Contest] DXC Entry Reclassified to High Power

Igor Sokolov ua9cdc at gmail.com
Wed Oct 5 14:48:19 EDT 2016

Drew,
This subject has been discussed here on the reflector in the past and
reasons were explained.
I will briefly repete them.
There are two schools of thoughts. Both have some merits and faults

1) Assumed that sender makes no errors (which is not always right) and all
the errors  are on the receiving side. Therefore sender is always awarded
points for the QSO and receiver gets all the punishment. The down side of
this approach is that even in cases when sender knows that receiver got one
of the letters in the call sign wrong, the sender is not motivated to waist
time and correct the receiver.

2) QSO is a team work where team consist of sender and receiver. The purpose
is to relay correct information (contest exchange) from one to another. If
this team failed to do it both team mates get punishment. The down side of
this approach is that sender has very limited control over what the receiver
gets and put down in the log.

Most of Russian contest (both internal and international) adopted the second
approach because they see contest as message handling.
Therefore if log of one of the particular QSO team mates is missing, it
becomes impossible to verify this QSO and therefore points are not awarded.
I hope it explains some of the issues raised  here but I also agree that it
would be  better if this approach is explained in contest rules.

I personally was always a supporter of the first approach despite of its
shortcomings. But still ready to play whatever the approach is as long as
number of participants guarantee interesting and lively event.

BTW if during WRTC contest some of the participants would find a rare mult
who is not really participating in the contest and talk him to giving 001
for the log (or just put 001 in the log) then will this QSO be counted. Just
curious.

73, Igor UA9CDC