[CQ-Contest] RDXC Entry Reclassified to High Power

Kelly Taylor ve4xt at mymts.net
Thu Oct 6 12:45:24 EDT 2016

Hi Jim,

So for those people who cannot operate high power, for whatever reason, they can just pound sand?

And, how bad is it, really? Consider, in the 2016 ARRL DX CW, the Top Four SOLP World were relatively competitive with each other, with those stations in the Caribbean having a clear advantage over those stations in northern South America (is that really a surprise?). Can we chalk up NP2X, KP3Z, VP9/W6PH and NP3A outscoring YV8AD and EF2A to the Caribbean advantage, or power cheating? Furthermore, K9VV at NP2X didn’t come close to matching 8P5A in HP.

In QRP, No. 1 is P4ØW, at 3.5 million points. No. 2 is HB9BMY at 227,664 points. Did W2GD cheat on power, or isn’t Aruba just that much better a location for a the-world-works-W/VE contest than Switzerland?

In last year’s IARU, VE9AA wasn’t more than 100,000 points behind N5AW, while W1KM (SOHP CW) was about 800,000 points ahead of WX0B (AD5Q op.), so did AD5Q cheat on power? In 2015 SS CW, KP2M only beat N0NI by 13,000 points, despite having the Puerto Rico advantage, so did W2GD cheat there? While John and Mark were outliers above 200K points, they weren’t so far ahead of Tor, and only John’s score would have made Top 10 in HP. Is there evidence of power cheating there?

In WW CW last year, the No. 1 LP World score was half of the No. 1 HP score. The HP multi-single top score was five times that of LP multi-single winner's.

I guess the point I’m trying to make is this: If there is a pattern of power cheating, wouldn’t such a pattern be apparent, in some way, in the results?

73, kelly, ve4xt