[CQ-Contest] Rules Question M2 CQ WW

W0MU Mike Fatchett w0mu at w0mu.com
Sat Oct 8 19:00:22 EDT 2016

I guess my definition of transmitter never meant transmitted signal.  I
failed to find this definition in any radio book I own.   If that is
what is meant then why not say that?  Historically meant "transmitted
signal"?

"The log must indicate which transmitter made each QSO. Each transmitter
may make a maximum of 8 band changes in any clock hour (00 through 59
minutes)"

What does this mean then?  Maybe transmitter should say station?   Are
people using 10 transmitters thinking they can make 8 band changes per
transmitter and not per transmitted signal? The rule makes absolutely no
sense if you attempt to allow more than two transmitters.  The rule
expects transmitter A and transmitter B.  I have no clue how people are
interlacing transmitters C -Z and the 8 band changes per transmitter
(station) into the mix and keeping it all straight.  This rule needs to
be rewritten in much clearer language.

I think what you are saying and trying to be nice is the intent of the
rule was indeed at one time was that it was two transmitters (radios)
same for MS.  Those two categories have devolved in my mind into
categories as you indicate that are now dominated by what should be MM
Multi Unlimited stations that have reclassified to other categories by
pushing the envelope.

Instead of making categories more competitive for the many it
essentially limited it to big super stations.  M2 and MS classes used to
be where a few guys that did not want to do the 48 hours could get
together and have fun and put up big scores with much smaller stations.
Now to compete in those classes you have a much bigger station.

I agree that we do need to look at how we need to make the Multi op
categories more  competitive.  What we have now discourages people to
participate.

Finally, are there any other definitions that are not what they seem?    :)