[CQ-Contest] Has Certificate Chasing Ruined the Real Hunt ?

Trent Sampson vk4ts at outlook.com
Thu Oct 13 18:44:47 EDT 2016

Just looking through the various categories in the CQ WW and CQ WPX Contest and noted the proliferation of categories -

Tribander Single element overlay - etc - Should a higher category be awarded to a station that doesn't beat a lower category as per WRTC  ?

Eg If a QRP station out-gunned all the HP stations should they get a clean sweep of all categories ? After all, they were the best operator.

Same in Multi Op - should a MM that fails to beat M2 or M1 stations be awarded best MM or should the M1 be graded as 1st Multi Op station ?

It seems to me that we are chasing participation certificates and many have lost the pursuit of excellence.

Trent

VK4TS
PO Box 275
Mooloolaba 4557