[CQ-Contest] New Contesting Classification

Paul O'Kane pokane at ei5di.com
Sat Sep 10 09:47:49 EDT 2016

On 10/09/2016 09:46, Mike Lonneke via CQ-Contest wrote:

> The idea of creating a special contest classification for operators who use a remote station "not their own" strikes me as an answer looking for a question.  What would it accomplish?

If ever there was a group of operators who should be
classified separately, it is remote operators.

Why?  Because the facts are that -

1.  Those operators are at all times communicating over the
     internet.

2.  Without the internet, there would be no communications
     whatsoever with operators who are not on the internet.

They are not radio amateurs, they are hybrid-communications
amateurs.

Mike asks - Is there supposed to be some sort of "shame"
attached to operating remotely?

The answer is "Yes, because you're on the internet".

73,
Paul EI5DI

ps - From David Hare - The Guardian, September 3 2106

  "In an internet age it is, at first glance, democratic to
  say that everyone is entitled to their own opinion. That
  is surely true. It is however a fatal step to then claim
  that all opinions are equal. Some opinions are backed by
  fact. Others are not. And those that are not backed by
  fact are worth considerably less than those that are."