[CQ-Contest] "D1WW"

W0MU Mike Fatchett w0mu at w0mu.com
Wed Sep 14 12:59:06 EDT 2016

What Rudy said.

After every contest we (cluster owners) get hit with people complaining
about all the busted calls. (SSB, CW and RTTY) AD1C and others maintain
huge lists that we use to identify calls and spot them in the right
country, zone, county, etc.   All the TO calls come to mind.

You do not want to open up the flood gates and allow the clusters to
spot everything.  It would be a mess.

Skimmers work on matching up what it thinks it heard with what should or
could be real callsigns.

I guess the burden shifts to those that maintain these lists to
determine what to do with these entities.

RBN is just one piece of the puzzle for CW and RTTY which tie in and
back and forth between all the other participating clusters around the
world.  These are all independent sources of information that get
filtered along the way.  We as hams have asked them all to get better at
filtering out the bad spots.

It is not one person or RBN that determines what gets sent down over the
spotting networks.  All the clusters do not necessarily play nice
together either.

It is not the end of the world if some of these entities are not
spotted.  I sure read many posts where people should be tuning around
their radios on their own.  Here is your chance.

Each contest has their own rules.  It should be pretty clear how D1WW or
others like this will be handled.

W0MU