[CQ-Contest] Self-spotting explanation from CQWW blog

Steve London n2icarrl at gmail.com
Mon Apr 17 10:29:36 EDT 2017

I agree 100% with Rich's assessment, comments and suggestions.

I, too, have suggested that self-spotting be allowed, subject to
conditions on how often, and under what circumstances. The resistance I
have received has come from a few of the world top-10 SOAB competitors.
They are concerned that they will be at a competitive disadvantage due
to their perceived internet connectivity issues. With just a little
creative thinking, there are solutions to that problem, too. For
example, how hard would it be to set up a packet RF-to-internet gateway
for self spotting on VHF or HF ? Such things were very common in the
early days of the internet, 20 years ago. Before the internet, there was
even a 30 meter band network for interconnecting VHF packet clusters.

73,
Steve, N2IC