[CQ-Contest] Encouraging Casual Participation in Contests

Pete Smith N4ZR n4zr at comcast.net
Wed Apr 26 10:23:19 EDT 2017

We all agree, I think, that casual participants are a critical part of
the total workable population in contests. I spent the first 40 years of
my contesting career working contests as a quick and relatively easy
source of award credits, and I suspect a large majority of the stations
in any contest are doing some variation on this.

There is a reasonably simple and straight-forward way to encourage more
of this, potentially yielding more people for us to work.  We need
interconnection between CQ and ARRL contest databases, so that any
contact that is in both stations' log in a given contest can be claimed
for ARRL and CQ award credit without going through the QSL card process.

I'm not underestimating the programming effort involved, I hope, but
surely some combination of volunteer and professional staff involvement
can get it done. It could start small - perhaps a pilot involving the
CQWW open log database and DXCC. Imagine the value added to LOTW if it
were the hub for this process, and the potential increase in DXCC fees.
Surely, this is a win-win proposition.

--

73, Pete N4ZR
Check out the Reverse Beacon Network