[CQ-Contest] CQWW Assisted - Is it just another Urban Myth

Stan Stockton wa5rtg at gmail.com
Wed Aug 2 05:41:52 EDT 2017

Holger,

Depends on your definition of assistance.  You need to have the sponsor's definition changed to make your argument.

I think self spotting falls more in line with what's happening with the RBN.  The RBN makes self spotting a non issue.  Every time you call CQ you are self spotting.  Without asking for any definition changes, I could make the argument that everyone should be disqualified if they call CQ on CW until such time as the self spotting rules are changed.

The only thing standing between the current situation and the demise of radio contesting as we know it is the unassisted category which does not allow code readers.  Once you allow code readers it is a matter of the time it will take for perfection of automated software and sequencing to create automated contest stations.

There are lots of operators who operate unassisted not because of WRTC but because that's the way they prefer to operate. There are others, believe it or not, who don't have Internet or go to places where they can't get Internet. I'm pretty sure if the WRTC gave as many points to assisted as unassisted without combining the categories, either for the contest or for WRTC qualifying, that the category would still be very popular.

Let's say you are right and everyone is assisted in some way because of packet and the RBN even though they are not using the RBN or packet for S&P.  Can you explain why it is important to you to combine the categories?  You have the ability to choose either category.  Is that a bad thing that you and everyone else has that choice?  Do you want to spoil the fun for those who want to compete against others where the multipliers are not spoon fed to them?  If so, WHY?

> To gain maximum points you have to enter SO unassisted. So the top operators are forced to use those classes. And the main reason for endless pile ups are not the super skills but the spotting assistance they get. Another driver is the status given to those classes. Unassisted is established as the premium over assisted. Look at the forms of awarding and acknowledging results. There is a tone of discrimination when it comes to assisted class.

Great paragraph above.  Ever wonder why the WRTC qualifying doesn't give max points for assisted?  Could it be that the organizers believe that there is more skill in finding multipliers without having a list provided?

Endless pileups don't put any points on the board. Points get put on the board when the operator can manage to work 250-350 per hour out of that endless pileup.

Unassisted is the premium category.  Do you want to eliminate the premium category under the guise of combining?  Combining would indicate a merger of different aspects from each.

What is proposed for no reason, good or otherwise, stated by anyone yet, is "elimination" of a category that many hundreds enjoy and don't want changed.

73. Stan, K5GO