[CQ-Contest] TH7 Replacement

Wayne Kline w3ea at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 7 16:02:19 EDT 2017

Scott,

I have a Skyhawk up last fall. Replacing a 5/5/5  20 meter stack..... Tower shrunk from 150' to  7er of Skyhawk's over the years.
I have installed a number   of triband antennas  all flavors of F-12's  Chushcraft A-3 and A-4's  and a few Mosley...

The Skyhawk IMO  was the  leader of the pack for both performance and mechanical  design.

I still have a 5/5/5 for 15 and  in fall of 16 the 6/6 for ten meters  and the Skyhawk  compared to them  did not win out ( it should not)and openings
But it performance was down most of the time by only 1 S unit..... Only on band openings  did the HP stack shine over the tri-band Skyhawk

The new JK antennas look interesting   also...... not 100% sure of there mechanical  survivability,, they look good !

Wayne W3EA

-

On Sun, Aug 6, 2017 at 2:48 PM, K9MA <k9ma at sdellington.us> wrote:

> My 28 year old TH7 needs to come down for maintenance, and I'm told the
> trap end caps MFJ now sells don't last long.  I also may be just a matter
> of luck that no bugs have moved into any of the traps. So, I'd really like
> to replace it with a trapless antenna.  The TH7 has served me well, having
> last been put up in 1993. It needs to be replaced before I'm too old to
> climb the tower!
>
> Here are the requirements:
>
> Performance comparable to TH7
> Boom length 24 feet or less
> No traps or fragile linear loading
> Can be assembled on the tower (as was the TH7 in 1993.)
>
> At this point, the Skyhawk appears to be my best option, at least of the
> tribanders available in this country.  Any experience with the Skyhawk, or
> other suggestions?
>
> 73,
>
> Scott K9MA

lists.contesting.com
CQ-Contest at CONTESTING.COM is an electronic mail reflector dedicated to hams interested in all types of amateur radio contesting. This is a good place for contest ...

--
Charly, HS0ZCW