[CQ-Contest] SO2R vs SO1R

BobK8IA at aol.com BobK8IA at aol.com
Tue Aug 8 17:51:07 EDT 2017

I have always enjoyed NAQP CW and competing with the SO2R crowd is fun. I
would never want to see SO2R and SO1R as separate categories. They should
not  be. The SO2R ops skills should be rewarded. Conversely, there are
probably a few  of us that do fairly well not using SO2R

I use SO2V via a two rx K3, a far cry from SO2R and, frankly, SO2V is not
too productive in a high rate contest such as NAQP CW. I am usually just too
 busy running rate to bother with that second in-band rx. Other than a
small  percentage of qso's (maybe 50-60 per NAQP CW), I could be considered
SO1R.

Although, due to some storm damage here, I was unable to compete in last
weekends NAQP CW, some of my recent past top 25 (actually 26 as you will
see) final scores look good for a non-SO2R old guy:

2017 Jan NAQP CW - K8IA #6 Overall - 1213/224 = 271,712  (8 band  changes)
2016 Aug NAQP CW - K8IA #6 Overall - 1032/193 = 199,176  (11 band  changes)
2016 Jan NAQP CW - K8IA #18 Overall - 1172/223 = 261,356  (11 band  changes)
2015 Aug NAQP CW - K8IA #26 Overall - 990/212 = 209,880  (18 band  changes)
2015 Jan NAQP CW - K8IA #18 Overall - 1155/247 = 285,285 (14 band  changes)

My point is that, a SO2R op will beat me most of the time, but not
necessarily all the time.

I am having fun doing what I do with the modest station I have. I have no
plans for SO2R. My highest antenna is only 78' up and just a 3 el SteppIR at
 that. No magic station, certainly no magic op but a persistent old coot
that  likes to have some fun in NAQP CW. I missed you folks last weekend!

73, Bob K8IA
Arizona Outlaws Contest Club

In a message dated 8/8/2017 10:03:23 A.M. US Mountain Standard Time,