[CQ-Contest] TH7 Replacement

Chris Pedder chris at g3vbl.co.uk
Thu Aug 10 05:32:12 EDT 2017

The 4L 20M on a 53' boom appears on p 8-18 of Lawson's book. There is
another, perhaps less well known, of his designs referred to as a
PV-4 described by Carl Hueter, KM1H and by Bill Meyers, K1GQ in the
May 1986 edition of Radiosporting. (Bill Meyer's article originally
appeared in Scuttlebutt in May 1982.)

On a 0.57 wavelengths boom, this equates to 4L on a 40 foot boom on
20m. Having built one of these antennas I can say that it looks very
strange from some angles due to the spacing of elements on the boom.
Not having a PC at that time, I had to recalculate the element
lengths, with my taper schedule, by hand. While I balanced it for
weight, I failed to balance it 'dynamically' and the widely varying
element spacing played heck with rotators. Young(er) and stupid perhaps.....

Chris G3VBL