[CQ-Contest] RTTY CR LF

Tim Shoppa tshoppa at gmail.com
Mon Aug 28 09:18:57 EDT 2017

NO3M Writes:

> I was surprised at the number of offenders in the SCC this morning.
> While copying one station in particular, his CQ kept typing over itself,
> and at least 2-3 QSOs along, the machine was still printing on the same
> line, each QSO completely unreadable!!
>
> Request:  if you are using CRs in your macros, accompany them with LFs,
> or don't use either
>
> Realizing that this practice is probably the "new standard"... are there
> any TUs (terminal units) to interface with the Model 28 that can
> simulate a CR/LF when a CR is received?   I'm guessing no because of the
> nature of the teleprinter, everything being interpreted mechanically and
> thus adding an unsent character would throw everything afterwards off.....
>
> 73 Eric NO3M

Eric - I am certain that this function will exist electronically in some
TU's from the 70's/80's.

The more traditional way of handling this is to configure the stunt box so
that CR by itself does CR+LF. This was generally called "Non-Overline"
configuration. Some details are here:
https://www.smecc.org/teletype_model_28_stunt_box_secrets_and_data!.htm

If you google for "Model 28 stunt box" you will find some wonderful
Teletype brochures on the ability of the stunt box.

You will not find a lot of discussion of mechanical TTY's on CQ-Contest and
RTTY contesting mailing lists. But I believe there is a "Greenkeys" mailing
list that specializes in the mechanical units.

Tim N3QE