[CQ-Contest] KPA 1500

Jim Brown k9yc at audiosystemsgroup.com
Mon Aug 28 20:03:18 EDT 2017

On 8/28/2017 11:15 AM, Ria Jairam wrote:
> JMO

I buy equipment based on REAL specs that I can trust from mfrs I trust
for support, quality, and reliability.  I want my signal to be very
clean. With the amps I own, the output signal is as clean as what I
drive it with. SPE amps have the reputation of not being very clean, and
in my experience, not very reliable.

I buy the best quality I can afford. That's why I bought my Ten Tec and
Alpha amps used. I did the same thing years ago, when looking for a rig
after being off the air for a while. Rather than a cheap rig, I bought a
good used TS850.

I tried a used SPE 1K from a friend, who had had it repaired (at SPE) at
least twice. It's performance was flaky (controls were flaky), and it
fried the second time I tried to use it on 6M. Returned for repair, all
the output devices and some drivers were blown. I'd call that not well
protected.

Most Elecraft owners have good things to say about Elecraft reliability,
quality, and service. I've often recommended a used K3 to hams wanting
to upgrade from a cheapie.

73, Jim