[CQ-Contest] CQ-Contest Digest, Vol 180, Issue 31

Holger Hannemann holger at 9h3m.com
Thu Dec 28 17:50:21 EST 2017

Hi
I wonder what the question is tasking here. My feeling is, that the
challenge of using SS amps is bigger in a M/2 environment than it is for a
M/M station.

We have two main problems here. ONE is harmonics and interference audible on
the other radio(s) and TWO is the triggering of protections on the SS amp
(typically SWR) by another station.

Problem one is manageable by filtering. Plus you can do a lot here at low
power level.

Problem two is what we had most trouble with here. Part of that may be that
we use multiband antennas via triplexer (& filters of course). But there are
always combinations where one amp would kick out the other one.

Both problems are more tricky to solve in a M/2 environment. Due to the more
complex station automation you have to deal with about twenty more
combinations, than in a M/M set-up, especially the "competitive" ones where
you typically find monobander antennas.

We wish you all a Happy New Year!

73 Holger, ZL3IO/ZM4T