[CQ-Contest] CQWW 2016 SSB logs now public

David Gilbert xdavid at cis-broadband.com
Sat Jan 7 13:07:14 EST 2017

Well, Hans, I find your post to be one of the most disturbing I've seen
here in years.

Public logs do indeed allow and encourage the ham community at large to
at least partially police itself ... something that over my 50 years of
ham radio I was always led to understand was a major tenant of our
hobby.  I completely believe that peer pressure to conform to
established rules is a good thing, and given my generally low opinion of
human nature and the even lower level of FCC enforcement, it might be
the only thing that keeps ham radio from being total chaos.

What you seem to advocate is more of the despicable "look the other way
and let somebody else do it" attitude that disgusts me every time I see,
hear, or read ... in every aspect of society ... about some offender who
never got caught because everybody around him/her didn't want to get
involved, incriminate an acquaintance,  or even acknowledge the
offense.  I'm tired of hearing hams claim first hand knowledge of guys
they know who cheat (particularly with high power or undeclared ops) and
yet refuse to identify them.

In my opinion, you're trying to perpetuate a mentality that has at times
threatened to drive me out of ham radio altogether.  As I see it, your
attitude is as much a problem as are the cheaters themselves.

Dave   AB7E