[CQ-Contest] CQWW 2016 SSB logs now public

kzerohb at gmail.com kzerohb at gmail.com
Sat Jan 7 18:07:29 EST 2017

Well, that escalated quickly!  A classic example of TRYING to say one thing, and communicating a quite different message.

First, I want to thank everyone for paying attention to my message.  Besides the traffic which appeared here, I got a similar amount of private traffic, and it was similarly mixed --- some avidly pro, some avidly apposed.

MOST ESPECIALLY, I want to thank Doug KR2Q for his gracious private response (much more gracious than I deserved).

My original jeremiad was NOT intended to be against open logs.

And as Doug explained privately, his message was NOT intended to encourage vigilantism.

For the record, I have long ago made my peace with the concept of open logs.  If I had any lingering opposition to that, it was nuked out of existence with the UT5UGR episode.

My over-reaction to Dougs’ original message in this thread was because it seemed to be a recruiting call to “volunteer log detectives”,  potentially setting “amateur-against-amateur” in a distasteful witch hunt.  That reading of the message was what tripped my trigger.

As Doug explained privately, the purpose of his post was to move the “investigative reports” off the reflector to private email, NOT to incite random inquisitions.

I think his language could have better emphasized that goal, BUT BE THAT AS IT MAY, my response should have been private and less inflammatory.  My sincere apologies to Doug.

73, de Hans, KØHB