[CQ-Contest] Call sign history

Rich K2WR k2wr at njdxa.org
Sun Jan 8 18:55:40 EST 2017

For the record, the 1976-1977 “gate” system of 1x2 callsigns for Extra Class licensees was adopted by the FCC pursuant to Docket #20092, and is described in detail in the “Washington Mailbox” column on p. 51 of  June, 1976 QST (probably other QST appearances as well).  My own Extra license dates to March, 1970, so I was in the third gate, and I got my second pick.  Although some K2 calls in the 1x2 format had been issued a few decades earlier, they would have all (or almost all) been sequential and near the front of the alphabet, so I’m pretty sure I’m the only person ever to hold K2WR.

Rich K2WR