[CQ-Contest] `150 watt limit question (Kelly Taylor)

Ed Sawyer sawyered at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 4 06:35:11 EDT 2017

CQ 160 contest is also 150W output.

As Frank noted, the ARRL limits seem to be remnants of the old Input power
limits (like the original FCC rules).

I can attest to noticeable differences on marginal 160 and 80M contest
contacts between 100 and 150W.  One ARRL Contest that I wasn't feeling well,
I began experimenting with a few things and that was one of them.  I
converted about half a dozen marginal contacts from "?" into in the log by
changing the power.

By the way, my reason for doing the power changes was to simulate 1 - 3dB
antenna differences on those bands to see what was "worth doing".  1.5dB on
80 and 160 does make a difference on the margins.

Ed  N1UR