[CQ-Contest] IARU HQ prefill files for N1MM, Writelog, Win-Test

Wayne, W5XD w5xd at writelog.com
Fri Jul 7 18:16:10 EDT 2017

The prefill file listed by N6TV here:

https://bit.ly/itudtb

will NOT work unaltered with WriteLog versions 12.07 and later. Earlier
versions of WriteLog used the ADIF tag WRITELOG_APP_ZONE, which is what
the above download depends on. Version 12.07 switched to the
ADIF-specified standard tag of ITUZ. (I thought it was a good idea to
change to comply with the standard. Oh well...) The fix is to open the
iaru2017.adi file with, say, Notepad, and do Edit/Replace
WRITELOG_APP_ZONE with ITUZ.

If somebody wants a single ADIF file that WriteLog versions before and
after the change can both read, then duplicating the information inside
the file in each QSO record for both ADIF tags "ITUZ" and
"WRITELOG_APP_ZONE" would work.

I happen to hate prefills for the same reasons posted by N6TR. Tree's
prediction of more accuracy copying than prefilling is probably not true
for my own skill level, I still don't see the point of sitting in front
of the radio operating the contest using a database of what the other
guy is supposed to send me. (I am so old, I don't even see the point in
using packet spots for similar reasons.)

Wayne, W5XD