[CQ-Contest] ARRL Contest Changes for 2017-2018 - Sept QST p91

Jim Brown k9yc at audiosystemsgroup.com
Thu Jul 27 14:58:58 EDT 2017

On 7/27/2017 6:16 AM, Yuri wrote:
> I'm pretty sure that nowadays to interface your rig to the computer would be faster and easier than to write this e-mail.

Not necessarily easy, but definitely better. Also, a better contest
logger might help. Here's an excerpt for your rig from doc for N1MM Plus.

I don't know if he's still around, but there used to be a guy (maybe
more than one) building CI-V interfaces from an old QST article and
selling them on the internet or at hamfests. They worked fine. Google
found these on the first page

http://www.blackcatsystems.com/usbciv/usb_icom_ci-v_interface.html
http://www.qsl.net/g3vgr/civ.html
http://www.g4zlp.co.uk/unified/IcomCAT.shtml
https://www.amazon.com/Interface-Cable-IC-706-Works-Desktops-Laptops/dp/B008MTQZCS

Over the winter, I bought cables to program a Kenwood TH-F6A and Kenwood
TM-D71A (think that's the model number) on EBay from a ham in San Jose.
They are reasonably well built and work fine. Here's his listing for a
CI-V cable.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FTDI-USB-Icom-Programming-Cable-CAT-CI-V-CT-17-/152476328846?hash=item23804c238e:g:rOcAAOSwpINZZWN0

73, Jim K9YC

      7.20. IC-751/751A using address 1C hex

          + There are several limitations caused by the lack of some
            CI-V commands. VFO select and split commands are not
            supported. This will prevent the program from controlling
            the radio split and reading or programming VFOB frequency.
            SO2V mode should not be attempted and VFOB's Bandmap and
            Entry windows can be closed.

To communicate with the radio, the baud rate, CI-V Transceive, and
number of bytes of frequency data must be set correctly. This is set via
a DIP switch on the Icom UX-14 interface board. Using the DIP switch S1
location in the beginning of the manual (page 11 has the DIP switch
positions reversed) set S1 to the following:
On - Off - Off - Off - Off - On
This will set the baud rate to 9600, the length of the frequency
information to 5 bytes, and turn CI-V Transceive OFF.
If the radio contains the Piexx UX-14 CI-V board, set the DIP switches
per the Piexx manual for the same configuration